Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blog #2

.



1. I feel that the statement “for students starting a 4 year technical degree this mean that half of what they learn in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study” in the “Did You Know” clip is very true. the internet is changing constantly and so it the technology around it. When i was in elementary school i would have never dreamed that by my freshmen year or college I would have a cell phone with a touch screen(not a car phone), a laptop with a touch screen(not a desk top), or am Ipod with a touch screen.
But the difference between my generation and my mothers is that i grew up with these items and I’m am starting to understand this idea of knowledge being outdated. But who will understand it more than me are the generations that are yet to come. As I said before, in elementary school i would have never dreamed of all this touch screen stuff, but my cousin who is 8 shows me how to work items on my Ipod all the time. She can send emails and surf the web way before I was able too.




2. The video, “Mr. Winkle Wakes”, is a very eye opening movie. In elementary school, I don’t believe any of of my teachers had a computer. The only computers I remember is the ones in the library. In fact, the first computer I saw was at my house. I had a computer at home for about 5 years before I every saw one actually in the classroom. It wasn’t until middle school that my school provided one computer lab with only about ten computers in it.
Once I was in high school, It became a different story. My freshmen and sophomore year I took a computer class but it was all about word and typing; the class wasn’t helpful at all. But my senior year, the school system built a brand new high school which was every technologically savvy. There were flat screens on the wall. Teachers were using smart boards and computers in the classroom all the time. I feel that my school system, slowly but surely, is stepping out of the box and trying to incorporate as much technology as the budget will allow.


Ken Robinson says schools kill creativity | Video on TED.com


3. I do not feel that schools are killing creativity. I went to Hewitt-Trussville and I feel like Hewitt did the exact opposite. At Hewitt, you were part of the “in-crowd” if you were involved in art, choir, theatre, photography, or things of that nature. We were encouraged to me innovative and creative. It was a good thing to be a little different and to think different ways.
But maybe there are schools out there that are not this way. If there are, I strongly encourage them not to be. I had a much better high school experience because i didn’t feel like that were trying to turn me into something they wanted me to be. I was taught to be myself and use my creativity in ways that others wouldn’t have thought of.




4. I agree that schools and teachers should become more technically savvy and should find ways incorporate it no matter what subject they teach. Technology can be a useful tool no matter what subject or teach








5. I feel that a class like the one that Ms. Vicki teaches would have been a much more informative class than the computer class i took in high school. Mine was all about Microsoft, but Vicki's is almost the same as my EDM310 class. I think it would help keep students up to date in technology.
I also believe it would help all students, not just future teachers. It also help with collaborating with other students. It connects you with the world from just a seat in the classroom. I agree with Vicki when she states that this helps to create a better classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment